The appearance and bite of your smile is now up to you. It is important for you to follow these guidelines for wearing and taking care of your retainers.
- Wear the retainers 24 hours a day, except when eating, swimming, playing contact sports, or brushing your teeth, until you are instructed otherwise.
- Place and remove the retainers as you have been shown. Pull with equal force on both sides of the retainer. Pulling from one side and not the other may cause the retainer to snap or bend.
- Retainers that are new or just tightened may make your teeth a little sore for a day or two. This is normal. If you have a localized sore spot after 3-4 days, call the office and we will adjust the retainer.
- With a bit of practice, your speech will return to normal in a few days of wearing the retainers.
- Bring the retainers with you to each appointment so we can check their fit.
- Keep your retainers clean by brushing them with a soft brush and toothpaste at least once a day. A retainer cleaner may be used as necessary to keep away buildup and odor.
- Do not put your retainer in hot water or near a hot surface because the heat will change the shape of the retainer and it won't fit properly.
- Chewing gum sticks to the retainer and is not recommended.
- If the retainer is loose or you notice your teeth are shifting, call our office.
- Always keep your retainer in the case when it is not in your mouth. Never wrap it in a napkin or tissue and lay it on the table—someone may throw it away. Pets also love to chew on retainers, so keep them in a safe place.
- Retainers are delicate and expensive to repair/replace. If a retainer can be repaired, the cost is assessed on a case-by-case basis.
- If you have a bonded retainer, it is important to floss between your teeth and under the retainer everyday to keep your gums healthy and your teeth cavity-free. If you notice any of the bonds are loose or missing, call the office for an appointment right away for this to be repaired.
Remember to see your family dentist for a check up & cleaning to keep your smile healthy and looking great.